Saturday, December 8, 2012

Blindingly obvious discovery: VSC can be used outside of WinRadio GUI

I've been trying to follow The Might KBC ever since they began broadcasting across the pond on Sunday 00:00 UTC. I say trying because the last two transmissions have suffered heavy fading - just straight up attenuation that gets progressively worse until the carrier sits at around -80 dBm with a -110 dBm noise floor, and that's before any intermittent QRM raises it to -105 dBm. Audio typically peaks 30 dB below the carrier, so nothing was going to be heard other than white noise.

On the KBC Facebook page there was a link to WebSDR, and over there 9450 kHz was like, -33 dBm / S9+40. Awesome. My next problem was how to get the audio into fldigi for the digital mode segments of the program.

I tried the Stereo Mixer trick to no avail. My use of a USB headset may be a contributing factor. Instead, I ended up defaulting audio playback through the WinRadio Virtual Sound Card. Since it doubles as a recording device, I can then feed through the audio into the USB headset.

Grabbed Audacity to record the digital segments just in case I picked the wrong mode in fldigi and messed up the first several seconds of the broadcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment