Sunday, September 30, 2012

BBC World Service DRM @ 7355 kHz, 30 Sep 2012

In the evenings, the noise floor in the lower bands spikes to -100 dBm. I've yet to find a cause, and I can only guess it's due to some electronics in a neighbouring house, because the interference doesn't experience fading and the auto-attenuator frequently kicks in.

Suffice it to say I tend to avoid everything up to the 9 MHz band, except maybe REE DRM on 9630 kHz, but only because it's so strong, and only in the last hour on Sundays because they run a music segment. Solid reception is still not guaranteed due to co-channel and the raised noise floor.

This is all a long-winded way of saying that I had no business scanning around so late at night, but I did, and discovered BBC DRM on 3955 kHz. It was a disaster of course, but I stuck around and until BBC migrated to dual frequency broadcast on 5875 kHz and 7355 kHz. 5875 kHz was too spotty, so I eventually settled on 7355 kHz which, while not great either, was a lot quieter noise (-110 dBm) and interference-wise.


Sick! Journaline and AFS? I've never received these before. Unfortunately it was still not stable enough to populate all of the Journaline hyperlinks.


No comments:

Post a Comment